Cleaning PTAC units quarterly, rather than annually or longer, has many benefits for Hotel Owners and Managers. Utilizing an outside service with a crew, completing the cleaning service in a single day or two, lowers the labor cost per hour.
The average maintenance tech completes a PTAC at a rate of about 1 unit per hour. A building of 100 units would cost 100 hours of service, just for PTACs. If the overhead cost of maintenance techs is $45 per hour, the total cost is $4,500. Many hotels will put 2 maintenance techs on the job, and still only complete 1 per hour, doubling the cost to over $9,000! If the techs are untrained, the job often averages 90 minutes per unit, increasing costs further. All this, to clean the units only once per year.
In comparison, a crew can complete 18 or more units per hour, often completing a 100-room building in a single day. Experienced techs, with a process, and better equipment, have a comparable cost per unit of just $26.50, for a single cleaning service. By adding quarterly decontamination services at a reduced cost, the job can be completed 4 times in a year, and still be cheaper than using hotel maintenance employees.
There are other benefits to utilizing a maintenance crew for PTAC services:
- Regular Decontamination. Treated for mold, viruses, and bacteria.
- Repairs can be made faster. Many units need only small adjustments to work again.
- Cleaner, better smelling rooms.
- Reduce workload on housekeeping, covers and screens are cleaned each quarter.
- Less damage to covers and screens. This can save money on replacing screens.
- Leaking units are addressed each quarter when re-installed.
- Lint, animal hair, and other debris is cleaned out.
- Covers can be repaired during service.
- Offset employee turnover by having professional quarterly service.
- Overall lower cost of operation, saving thousands of dollars.